Posts tagged g33k
I’m not sure if this happened after an upgrade or something, but I logged in to WordPress this morning and found that ALL comments on the blog had disappeared! No approved… no pending… no spam. I knew that couldn’t be right, so I did some research and found this post on the WordPress Support forums:
Been using WordPress for years without hitch. I recently however upgraded to 2.9.1 and nobody can now post comments. If I try to post a comment, the page goes blank (on this url http://eastlower.co.uk/wp-comments-post.php#comment-)
Worse, all my previous comments from 606 posts appear to have disappeared (at least it says they have on the dashboard).
I’ve contacted my administrator who says my database in phpmyadmin is fine – though the comments table says ‘in use’.
I logged into phpMyAdmin and sure enough, the comments table says “in use.” I scrolled down a little farther and this comment seemed promising:
In Cpanel click on MySql Databases. On the next page you should see your MySql DBs. click on the “repair” button for the db you are using for your site. Hope it helps. Worked for me and I had the same problem.
I had some trouble finding this “repair” button and once I found it, I thought I would do a little step by step for others that had problems. This is using phpMyAdmin version 3.4.5.
Step 1: Log into your cPanel (located on your server, separate from WordPress) and then log into phpMyAdmin. Click on your WordPress database. BACK UP YOUR DATABASE BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER.
Step 2: In the list of tables, locate wp_comments and click the check box next to it.
Step 3: Scroll down and choose “Repair Table” from the drop down box.
Step 4: Success! It’s been repaired successfully.
And now all my comments are back, even those lovely spam comments
See, that wasn’t too hard! Hopefully that helps you!
Well, I finally got myself a new laptop. I’m now the proud owner of this bad boy…
I loved the last Toshiba that I killed, so it only made sense to upgrade to another Toshiba when I had some extra money. It has a 320GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive which is fine for me; I use an external HD so I don’t really need my machine’s local HDD to be incredibly beefy. What was important to me was that the thing be fast, so I got a Intel Core i5-480M dual core processor and 4GB (2GBX2) 1066MHz DDR3 memory. If I went with a desktop I could have gotten a better processor, but I’m liking the speed this laptop is providing.
Unfortunately, once I received it I realized it only has two USB plugs. Luckily, I just did a lot of research on USB Hubs, so I ordered the Tulip USB hub. Unfortunately, when it arrived it did not come with a power cord, and without that external devices such as an external HD or iPod won’t work. I contacted the manufacturer, there was not one available. Stupidly, I found a power cord around my house, plugged it into the Hub and… shorted the HDD on my NEW laptop. Luckily, I was able to send it in for repair since it was still under warranty. Hooray!
I ended up ordering a different, not cute USB hub. As long as it works and doesn’t short my computer though, I’m happy.
A couple of weeks after the tea disaster of 2010, I bought new ram for my MacBook and my Sony Vaio VGN-FS8900 laptops. Both were equipped with only 512MB of RAM (help!) but had a max capacity of 2GB, so for only about $80 I was able to get more RAM for both of them.
I’m not that computer technical, but replacing the RAM was a BREEZE! A helpful Mac employee directed me to a website that would walk me through the process called iFixIt.com. All I had to do was follow this simple tutorial and voila! I now had 2GB of RAM.
The Sony was a bit trickier. After lots of searching, I found this user manual and it has some text instructions starting on page 110. I had a bit of a scare (the computer wouldn’t boot at first) but eventually the operation was successful!
I felt like such an elite geek afterwards, like Angelina Jolie in Hackers!