(76 comments, 664 posts)
This user hasn't shared any profile information
Home page: http://invisiblegirl.org
Yahoo Messenger: cutiegirlrin
Posts by Erin
I have to say, I’m really loving this link up. It’s really pushing me to read so I can have something new to report each week! With that said, let’s take a look at the shelf…
Lolita, The Road Less Traveled, Break, Blow, Burn are gathering dust. But I do have a finish to report!
I finished Beautiful Redemption, the final book in the Caster Chronicles series. I wanted to finish it before I could forget any plotlines!!
This was a great finish to the series and I really enjoyed the writing in this one, too. Lots of beautiful imagery and strong character development. You can definitely tell that the writers took inspiration from Dante’s Inferno with this book.
I’m linking up over at Patchwork Times! Check out what others are reading!
So as I pointed out on the floorplan, the dining room and the living room are actually one big room. We have done pretty much nothing in this room since we moved in. Evidence:
The lovely mirrors (no sarcasm there, I actually love them) were left behind by the previous tenants. Thanks!
So I’ve whipped up a mood board for what I would like to do to the dining room area of this room. This will all likely not happen for a long while; this room is pretty low on our list of priorities and I actually like having it kind of empty for big parties and such. Anyway, on to the mood board!
1. I’ve been obsessed with this dining room set from Plummers since we saw it in store a couple of months ago. All of the pieces (table, 8 chairs, sideboard, cabinet) will cost over $7k so that’s on our dream list for now, haha. Maybe someday!
2. The current brown color in the room won’t work with that dining room furniture, so we’ll need to paint. Maybe the same grey as the kitchen/family room?
3. Of course, that ugly cream carpet will have to go and be replaced by a dark wood.
4. I’m loving this rug from Overstock.com.
5. We actually already bought and installed this light fixture from Costco! It takes the place of that ugly brass chandelier in the picture.
6. How awesome are these curtains from Ikea? They really tie into the high glossy luxury vibe.
I know there isn’t much color outside of grey in this mood board… what can I say, I love that color! Maybe once I get some inspiration for the living room area of this room I will think of some ways I can tie color into the dining room portion of the room.
So as we discussed in the kitchen post, these rooms are really one big open room, so we are keeping the color scheme pretty much the same in both rooms. With that being said, moodboard!
1, 2. We painted the walls the same Sparrow by Behr color as the kitchen. I love the idea of accent walls, so we painted one wall (the wall the TV is mounted on) a green color by Behr, which I have now forgotten the name of. It’s close to this spring green by Glidden. We also painted the baseboards in this room which really helped the paint on the walls pop.
3. Like I mentioned in the kitchen post, someday I hope to refloor the entire house with a dark flooring like this one.
4. The drape shade I loved in our kitchen’s moodboard also comes in curtains! We have a larger window I am thinking of using this on.
5. This bar cart is sooo cool, I’d love to get something like this and place it below the large window to the right of the room.
6. We have a weird recessed area in one of our walls that I’d like to put some sort of white cabinet in to hold our DVDs and other assorted living room items in. This white one is from Overstock.com.
7. Love this coffee table from Plummers! I love different looking coffee tables and this one will bring more of the white into this room that is happening in the kitchen.
8. We already bought a dark mocha couch pretty identical to this one within a week of moving in. I had originally wanted to go with a charcoal color, but all of the sofas I liked either didn’t fit into our price range or were not comfortable enough for Mike. We compromised on this one. I am hoping once we upgrade the floors, it won’t stick out like such a sore thumb.
9. Really struggling with rug choices. I know I want something low pile and preferably solid, not sure if I want to do a lime green (worried about the room becoming too green) or a grey color. This rug is lime green AND grey, but seems a little too matchy with the curtains.
I didn’t include any artwork, but that’s another thing I’m really struggling with. There is one really large wall that I think I will do some kind of collection of artwork on, but I’m not sure yet. It’s not on the mood board but we did buy that awesome standing lamp within days of moving in. It’s been hard getting used to not having overhead lighting, in all of our apartments there was plenty so we’ve been buying a lot of lamps.
Also not included in my mood board was a wall mount Michael bought for the electronics (PS3, receiver, Wii, etc). That will go below the TV.
Here is a picture on move in day (excuse crookedness/darkness please!)
Here are some pictures of the family room as it is today…
Here is my to do list for this room:
- Move TV mount down a foot. It’s too high as is.
- Install electronics wall mount.
- Craigslist or give away current media shelving.
- Buy rug to go under sofa and coffee table.
- Buy coffee table (and end tables?).
- Fix fireplace.
- Remove ugly pink tile around fireplace, replace with something else that actually matches the room.
- Purchase and hang curtains for small window next to sliding glass door, the sliding glass door, the window above the bar.
- Replace the ceiling fan with something else (pendant light? Another ceiling fan?) or remove altogether.
- Get some art or pictures on the large wall next to the TV.